Cemeteries

Before visiting the cemeteries please contact us using the following contacts:

Telephone: +36 (1) 351-0525
e-mail: info@maoih.hu

 

Csorsz_utca_ temeto_02Csörsz Street (Old) Orthodox Cemetery
Address: H -1123 Budapest Csörsz Str. 55.
Caretaker: +36 (20) 291-1548

This cemetery is what remains of a much larger cemetery given by the municipality to the Jewish community in the 1880s. The first funeral was held in 1890. This cemetery was gradually liquidated when the buildings in lower Csorsz utca were erected and what we see now is a small remainder of this once large cemetery. It may be that some graves from the former cemetery were transferred.

The cemetery is divided in two by a cement walk; men are buried on the right and women on the left. Women’s graves are often opposite those of their husbands. There are about six to eight rows on each side of the walk. Many of the stones are worn out by old age and colors are faded. There is high grass in many areas; and some stones are covered with thistles, making it rather difficult to read many of the stones.

This cemetery was in use until about 1921-25, when the new Orthodox cemetery in Granatos Street was opened. However, there have been burials well into the 1940s, probably for families who had family plots or who owned lots.

The most imposing stone is that of Rabbi Jacob “Koppel” Reich, who was the principal Orthodox Rabbi in Budapest between 1889 and 1929. Additionally, Chaim David Sofer, the family member of the Pressburger Rabbi in 18th Century and Moshe Fraudiger the founder of the Textil Factory in Obuda.

 

Granatos utca temeto (7)Csucsor (Gránátos) Street Cemetery
Address: H -1106 Budapest, Csucsor Street 2.
Caretaker: +36 (70) 253-2678
Entrance at the Communities House

The cemetery was open in 1922. It is the only orthodox cemetery, located close to the neolog Kozma utca Jewish Cemetery. Entrance at the Communities House.
There is a newly painted pre-house separated for men and women, preparation rooms, table, water heating tubes. In this cemetery are buried many of the Hungarian Hassidic orthodox rabbis: Czitrom, Schmuck és Weiss rabbis.